Monday, March 26, 2007

I scream for ice cream!

Yesterday, I felt suddenly compelled to buy an ice cream maker. I went to Williams Sonoma just to look, but I think they knew I was coming. Not one thing in that store was on sale, except for a Krups GVS 1 ice cream maker. Of course it followed me home and I’ve been preoccupied with it ever since.

The Krups is the old fashioned kind of ice cream maker where you have to refrigerate the bowl for 24 hours before you can use it, as I learned when I unpacked it. 24 hours!?! But I wanted to make ice cream today! I haven’t been this impatient waiting for food since I was a young child waiting for the light bulb in my Easy-Bake oven to cook brownies!

But tonight the 24 hours was up and I put in my blueberry ice cream mix. It was a Philadelphia-style ice cream with no eggs and while March may not be the right season for blueberries, in all modesty, I must say, it was delicious! I memorized the recipe in Williams Sonoma and improvised with what I had at home – cream, sugar, frozen blueberries and a dash of lemon juice. I only had whipping cream, which might explain why it is a fairly soft ice cream, and the cream might slightly overwhelm the blueberry taste, but it still leaves store-bought ice cream in the dust.

I was so excited, I immediately moved on to my next batch, an egg-custard-based maple ice cream. (Maple has been my obsession lately—more on that later). It’s cooked and cooling in my fridge and will go into the Krups when I get home from work tomorrow. I plan on adding some crumbled maple cookies I have hanging around and some of the maple toffee sauce I made yesterday for some baked apples. I know, it’s kind of a busy recipe, but my sweet tooth knows no bounds. I’ll let you know how it turns out tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Candy said...

Well said.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home